Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NaNoWriMo : Tips 3

Yesterday I was moving to Sendai which is a city 6 hours by bus away North of Tokyo.
Therefore  when I finally had some free time for myself, all I wanted to do was sleeping and I didn't have time to write at all. My word count only raised but 9 words as I edited a part from the beginning.
I use a tool called "Karen's Countdown Timer II" which allows me to decide in advance at what time programs will start on my computer. Therefore last night I managed to write nine words because of it.
It's a very useful tool because you don't have to think about your daily task as it tells you when to do them.

The tip of the day will then be : 10 words are better than 1
By that I mean, don't look for the right word, in a draft, there is not such a thing as the right word. You'll have plenty of time to get the right word while editing and you'll need a lot of editing iteration to get them all right. So write as much as possible. Don't go look for the perfect adjective, describe the thing with bad one instead. What you want is enough words to be a NaNoWriMo winner. So you're character never "puts his jacket on", he "puts on the only jacket he had been wearing for year, it was torn apart at the bottom, the collar was shred on the back side and one of the sleeve color had past away with time, but at least he knew that tonight again he would be warm."
See what I mean, instead of 4 words, I got 49. Isn't it brilliant? Be creative and write, write, write !!!




Update on "Demon World" will probably be added tomorrow, I don't have internet in my new house yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment