Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Editing Frenzy: Prompt ten: Clarification the -ly adverbs

Adjectives and especially adverbs are some of the most hated words in the English language, I'm not sure I understand why but I know that too many -ly adverbs in the same paragraph annoy the hell out of me.
 
Azazel's adverbs madness
  1. It slows down the rhythm and loses the vocalic agreement.
    When I write I like to use sounds to create images, for example, several substantives starting with S show the sinuous path of a snake. 

  2. Verb + -ly adverbs can be replaced by another more specific verb, for example, run+quickly=race, speak+loudly=yell, talk+lowly=whisper 

  3. Some of them like (very or really) just cover space. Of course they are commonly used in speech and should appear in dialogue but they should also be kept away of the narrative. They are vague and don't bring anything to the start.

  4. A lot of them can also be replaced by a more specific paragraph.
    Example:
    Initial: He opened the door brusquely making me startle.
    Replace by: He opened the door, which hurt the wall, making me startle.

Go ahead and get rid of them!


Find us on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment